TANGENT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL — HOME OF THE TANGENT STARS
We're small in number (150), but BIG in academics and character education!
The Dear Tangent Elementary Parent/Guardian:
It is with great enthusiasm and excitement that I welcome you and your family to the Tangent Elementary School community. As your new Principal, I am eager to meet you and your children and am looking forward to working with you to make this academic year a dynamic experience for all of our kids. I am very humbled and honored to be in the position of harnessing the combined energy of the Tangent staff, parent base, and the children themselves. I invite you to be part of an amazing year, working together to help our children reach their potential.
I have been in the field of education for over 25 years, the past 5 as Principal at Oak Grove Elementary School here in Albany. Prior to that, I was at West Albany High School, where I taught Social Studies, coached, and served as Athletic Director. My wife, Julie, teaches first grade at Central School here in Albany. We have two adult daughters, both products of the Greater Albany Public Schools. It seems like just the other day that Julie and I were in your shoes, wondering who would be teaching our girls and what the year would bring! This brings us to the purpose of this letter - important dates and events for you and your family:
- Wednesday, August 20 Free books, donated by the Friends of the Library and distributed by the Tangent Fire Department, at the school from 1:00 - 2:00 PM. Later that evening, we'll have "Popsicles on the Playground" from 6:30 - 7:30. This is a great event for the whole family, a chance for kids and parents to meet the new Principal, plus an opportunity to reconnect with any staff members who are available to attend.
- Tuesday, September 2 First day of school for students in grades 1-5! Our starting time is 9:05 and students are released at 3:40.
- Kindergarten interviews will take place Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, September 2-4 in the mornings only. Kindergarten students will start attending classes on Monday, September 8.
- Monday, September 8 First day of school for kindergarten students. We will host the "Kinder Coffee" social at the school after school starts to help moms and dads let go on that first day!
- Wednesday, September 10 Open house from 6:30 - 7:30, followed by volunteer training from 7:30 - 8:00. It is at this event that teachers will discuss what will be going on in their classrooms during the year, review classroom expectations and address volunteer opportunities.The volunteer training is mandatory for anyone who wishes to assist in any capacity during the year.
- Monday, September 29 First day of extended kindergarten. Once again, welcome to Tangent Elementary! If you have any questions, please feel free to call either myself or Office Manager Matie Dougherty at 541-967-4616. My staff and I are eagerly awaiting the start of a fantastic school year with you and your children!
Tangent's Core Purpose: To educate and inspire all students to reach their full potential, equipped to be positive, contributing members of society.
As elementary educators we realize our crucial roles in teaching reading, math, and writing. We are dedicated to focusing on academic skills while culturing character education, physical fitness, and an appreciation of the arts.
We also believe that in order to teach character traits, we must model them with children and one another.
About Our School:
Built in 1965, Tangent Elementary School is proudly educating its second and third generation of children. Located on an 8 acre campus amid fertile farm fields, Tangent Elementary serves a large area surrounding the community for which the school is named.
Our School Is Proud To Offer:
Character Education Program
Tangent Elementary students follow the same three rules in all settings at our school: be safe, respectful, and responsible. Students who follow these rules are invited to participate in school wide rewards throughout the year.
An area in front of our school has been designated as a habitat for plants that are native to our area. The purpose of this project is to familiarize students with plants that are native to Oregon.
We bring our school community together each year with the following events: Fall Open House, Senior Dinner, music programs, carnival, science fair, and an end-of-the-year swimming trip.
Community members and parents help in classrooms, prepare materials for teachers, work one-on one with students, chaperone field trips and provide school wide assistance for events such as Senior Dinner and carnvival.
The Tangent Parent Club works tirelessly to raise funds to support student learning and activities. The club has been instrumental in raising funds for needed school items such as computers and projectors, library books, playground structure and equipment. They also play a major role in planning and putting on our annual events and coordinate volunteering in the school.
Dropping Off and Picking Up Students
Students should not be dropped off before 8:45 AM. There is no one to supervise the students until 8:45 AM. This time before school is a much-needed prep-time for all those associated with the school. School begins at 9:05 AM.
Additional Information for Tangent Parents:
Free and Reduced Lunches — Greater Albany Public Schools and the State of Oregon offer the breakfast and lunch program at reduced prices or free for those families qualifying due to size and income. We encourage parents who have had a change in their family’s situation, due to size or income, to complete applications. If you have not filled out a new application for this school year, please do so immediately.
Kids Going Home — Please talk to your child in the mornings before they leave for school and give them directions of where they are to be after school that day. The office gets calls frequently that could/should have been taken care of at home. Please note that unless your student brings a note to the office or to his/her teacher, or the office receives a phone call, your student/s will ride the bus home if that is what he normally does. Students are required to ride the bus unless prior arrangements or notification has been made. Kindergarten Students… If a guardian or designated adult is not at the bus stop to pick up your child, he or she will be returned to school for you to pick up.
Medication — Students receiving ANY kind of medication, over-the-counter or prescription, must have a medical release form filled out and on file in the office. If your child is taking a prescription, the bottle must come to the office by an adult – NOT ON THE BUS – and be marked EXACTLY how it is to be dispensed (frequency and time of day). All non-prescriptions INCLUDING cough drops, Tylenol, etc. must be accompanied by a medical release and dispensed from the office.
Volunteers are ALWAYS Welcome — Tangent School welcomes parents and community members who wish to volunteer. However, ALL visitors need to enter through the front doors and check in at the office and obtain a badge. Also, volunteers must complete Criminal History Verification form prior to volunteering and receive volunteer training with Mr. Sipe.